Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Trying to Keep Keitha... and Basically Basic Cable...

Now that the Miner Women have ended their unlikely season, it's time for a new campaign. The "bruise" has healed, and just a nasty memory now. There's no doubt that UTEP Women's Coach Keitha Adams will be a topic of discussion for openings at other schools, such as UCLA, and Arizona.

The UTEP Athletic Department needs to find a way to, "Keep Keitha." It starts with a mindset. She needs to know that she hasn't accomplished everything possible at UTEP. This program is her baby. They need to convince her not to abandon her "teen-ager". Financially, it's time top bump her up. Again. She's done the job. Pay her for it. Find a way to be competitive. I know she can't make what Gail Goestenkors makes at Texas ($900,000K-ish), but who can??? We've seen the type of player that Keitha has brought to this program over the past 2 years. That needs to continue. Keep Keitha.

Now onto the slap and tickle...

When I was sick (see below), I had 2 weeks to just sit in my apartment, and do nothing but vacuum, and watch TV. Unfortunately, when I moved to El Paso, I opted for only the basic cable that came with the apartment. I knew I'd be waaaaay too busy to spend too many a day in front of the boob tube, so I upped my Netflix account to a 3-movie rotation instead of juicing up my cable package.

Fast forward to my 2 weeks at home. I became an expert on what is played on basic cable from about 10am to midnight, and you won't believe what my top surprise was...

1. "Gone Country"- what an unexpected gem this was. This show brings in people from 7 different walks of life (or entertainment), and these "has beens" are all living together in a mansion-like log cabin, vying for a country music contract. The participants are the kicker. They consist of Bobby Brown, Sisqo, Carnie Wilson (of Wilson-Phillips), Julio Iglesias Jr., Dee Snider (of Twisted Sister), Maureen McCormick (Marsha from "The Brady Bunch"), and Diana DeGarmo
(American Idol, 2004). They're living in John Rich's house-cabin (of country music band Big & Rich), and he has them doing all sorts of chores (nothing like seeing Bobby Brown and Dee Snider clean out a horse stall). It's hard to tell when this show airs, as it airs about 4 times a day on CMT. Enjoy!

No comments: